Founded by Mrs. Liba Friedman and Mrs. Yehudis Muller in 1991, Bikur Cholim of Lakewood was created to assist members of the Lakewood community going through medical challenges. The founders set just one overriding goal: to help wherever help was needed. Within a short time, the organization was providing free transportation to out-of-town medical appointments, kosher meals and food pantries in area hospitals, and a selection of medical equipment available for loan.
Bikur Cholim of Lakewood now services most of the NJ area hospitals. It sees to the physical and spiritual well-being of patients and their families with food pantries that are restocked daily, as well as comfortable Shabbos accommodations for patients' families directly across the street from Kimball Hospital. Another essential service is patient advocacy, which helps families navigate the hospital system and ensures that patients receive the most appropriate and best quality care available.
Though the Lakewood community has grown exponentially, the volunteers and staff of Bikur Cholim of Lakewood maintain the organization's original objective: helping in any way, and every way, they can.
NJ AREA HOSPITALS
- Monmouth Medical Center - RWJBarnabas Health
- Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus - RWJBarnabas Health
- Community Medical Center - RWJBarnabas Health
- Robert Wood Johnson University Medical Center - RWJBarnabas Health
- St. Barnabas Behavioral Health - RWJBarnabas Health
- Ocean Medical Center - Hackensack Meridian Health
- Jersey Shore Medical Center - Hackensack Meridian Health
- Centra State Regional Medical Center
"...we ended up in the emergency room with our baby and were met there by Rabbi Chaim Shaul Jurkansky of Bikur Cholim. His level headedness, assurance, experience, and kindness helped calm us and make the right decisions in a case of great need. He also sent us off to Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia with plenty food provisions! Thank you Moishy Geller and Yehuda Kaszirer as well."
Moishy & Chavi M.